• Cities of the Red Night, William S. Burroughs (1981)
Not so much a book as a headlong plunge into the abyss.
• Jane in Blood: Castration, Clitoridolatry and Communal Cannibalism in the Novels of Jane Austen, Dr Miriam B. Stimbers (University of Nebraska Press 2014)
Psychoanalytic scholarship sets sail for the septic center of the landed gentry.
• 666⅔ Things to Do with a Dead Culture, Stewart Home (Serpent’s Tail 2006)
A rollercoaster ride through the incendiary imagination of England’s Clown Prince of Sex, Sleaze and Psycho-Geographic Subversion.
• F*** Off and Diet! — The Edible Edition, David Britton (Savoy Books i.a.w. SavSnaq Ltd 2016)
Vacuum-packed for extra freshness.
• Nekro-Vile: Kandid Konfessions of a Korpse-Kontemplator, David Kerekes (Visceral Visions 2016)
Dark, deviant and deeply disturbing: is this Visceral Visions’ most sickening publication to date…?
• Slay It Again, Sam: Candid Confessions of a Corpse-ColleCtor, Sam Salatta (Visceral Visions 2016)
No, this is… If you thought Sam Salatta’s Encyclopedia Psychopathica: Top Tips, Tactics and Targeting Techniques for Successful Serial Slayers was fetid, feral and foroughly frightening, then think again, buddy…
• Opium of the Peephole: Spying, Slime-Sniffing and the Snowdenian Surveillance State…, Dr Miriam B. Stimbers, introduction by Headpress CEO Dr David V. Kerekes (Visceral Visions 2016)
Post the shocking revelations by NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden, this is the book the Kounter-Kultural Kommunity have been waiting for. Dr Stimbers unfolds an intriguing thesis centred on the concept of “scopophilic sadism”, drawing on the insights of George Orwell’s classic dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four to argue that the behaviour of the surveillance state is uncannily duplicated in popular culture and by ordinary citizens. In short, the NSA feed on the same psychic impulses as the Daily Mail or the smart-phone-equipped chavs across the road…
From the introduction by Dr David V. Kerekes:
As we all know, counter-cultural icon William S. Burroughs believed in minding his own business and leaving other people alone. The NSA, GCHQ, Unit 8200, Murdoch, the Daily Mail, the police, chavs, lawyers, bored teens and other mainstreamers have no business to mind and believe in doing as much harm to others as they can get away with.
Which side am I, Headpress CEO Dr David V. Kerekes, on? It should be obvious to anyone who knows me and my backstory. My Mom Mirima Kerekes was a refugee from the surveillance state of communist Romania, where individual privacy was ruthlessly and remorsely invaded on an ongoing basis by the operatives of the security apparatus. In a very real sense, I would be spitting in my Mom’s face if I ever supported, let alone indulged in, any kind of spying, slime-sniffing or surveillance.
Yup, I may be a dim-but-devious adolescent voyeur surrounded by Guardian-readers with arts degrees, but I understand counter-cultural values. For this reason, I proudly and passionately stand with William S. Burroughs, George Orwell and Edward Snowden. Not with the NSA, communists, the Daily Headpress, chavs, lawyers or the police. Moreover [continued page 86]
• While Secretly Masticating: Toxic Tales of the Midnight Munchies, ed. David Kerekes (Visceral Visions 2016)
Alcoholism and drug-abuse are well-trodden topics in terms of transgressive literature, so trust Visceral Visions to come up with a fetid new addiction to interrogate…
Previously Pre-Posted on Papyrocentric Performativity: